My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.foell.org/jessi/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Time of our lives

"Time, time, time, see what's become of me." If you haven't figured it out, it's the beginning to one of The Bangles songs. Atleast thats what I think the lyrics are. Listening to this got me thinking about time. Time and technology. We live by both and yet want more. More time to use the technology. How did this become a never ending cycle of our lives?

Time: There is always time to watch your favorite show. But did you have enough time to get your current project done at work? Are you consistently late or early? What do you tell yourself when your late? "Oh I'll be there in 10 minutes" and show up 30 minutes later? There is always an excuse on why there wasn't enough time. We are talking minutes here, but what if it was days or months behind or ahead? When I was in College, I had to write a thesis. I thought I had plenty of time. Silly me, a College student, I should have known. Ofcourse my printer didn't work the day it was due but I manage to get it done in the 'nick of time.' In that example, my time was wasted by none other than technology.

Technology: It never works. At work or at home. And if you don't have a tech savvy husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend/friend (did I cover everyone?) then you are pretty much screwed. Techonology has made our lives easier as well as difficult. Gone are the days of the card catalog at the library. Does anyone even remember how to look up something that way? How in the world did we ever find anything on knitting, serial killers or cardiology. It's amazing how far we've come. But seriously, like everything in this world, there are pros and cons. The pro is I get paid to use technology to sell stuff (don't worry, it's not this blog, I'd be broke). The con is when the computer is down because of the disk drives crashing (um ya, just happened to me), I can't work. Well that really wasn't a con because I got to watch a lot of movies! I guess technology is good for something...movies at work.

So time, see what's become of me. I sit at a computer all day and hope for something to break so I can use my time to watch a movie.

No comments: